Wednesday, 16 May 2007

GETTING LOST


DAY 16:  GETTING LOST, AND LEARNING

 

Today was one of those ones.  Woke up, had a quick coffee, packed up, said our good-bye's to Umbulane, and away we went.   Rocky start however, because when we were almost on top, and it was seriously, a rocky climb, I realized that I have forgotten my water bottles in the freezer.   There were no two ways about it, I had to go all the way down and get them. 

Climbing was difficult, many boulders, and rocks as far as the eye can see.   If you couldn't manage to step between rocks, you were sure to roll backwards or forward.  We saw the most beautiful rock formations going higher, and once over the first ridge, what seemed to be a gorge.   Now, we weren't sure, but this looked like Castle gorge.  We couldn't see any of the dome pools, that we thought must've been here.   Maybe it's because it's been a dry season, or they could be lower down, but the way down didn't look too appealing, so we spend some time, admiring, being quiet, and took photos. 

We went through the gorge, and back up to the escarpment, when I realized that Maria was nowhere to be seen.   I had the two dogs with me, but no Maria.  I started calling, till eventually I was screaming, but no answer.   I could hear my own echo, but nothing else.  I got such a fright, dropped my bag, and made my way down to where I saw her last, but nothing.

I was calling out, and looking everywhere for about half an hour, but there are so many rocks and ridges, it's difficult to see much.   By this time I was frantic, and thought the worst.  I was just about to call someone, when she answered to my call.   She didn't sound like she was close, and I tried to listen where the sound was coming from, but didn't hear her again.   Another half an hour went by, before she answered me again, from way down at the bottom.   I stay put, until she got to me, but it was the worst hour ever.  I've never run so fast up and down ridges in my life before.   Exhausted!

We walked for a while again, and now, almost time to set up camp.  Then, we got to another point, where we couldn't continue along the escarpment, there was a dirt road going through the middle of the two peaks.  We found a pass going down, and walked along the road for a bit.   Our water supply is running out again, so we need to refuel.  It seems like we were going in the wrong direction, because you could see the road going on for miles, and nothing beside it.  

We turned around, and walked all the way back, until we finally came upon MCSA car park, and campsite.   This makes me think, was that Castle gorge that we've passed earlier, or is it coming up?  I hate the feeling of being lost, and today was all about that.   Another stone turned, I guess.  I've made a decision, not to be concerned with what's ahead, and to take things as they come.   It is all so beautiful, that going in search of a gorge, which we wouldn't recognize if it bit us on the ass, just seems stupid.

So, I'll take pictures, and will be so happy if someone could point out what the name of the gorges are that we're going through.   See, we have a map that was given to us by the MCSA, and this map gives you a clear idea of what is where, when you're coming by road, and doing day hikes.   We've been hiking for 16 days, and to be quite honest, the rocks are all starting to look alike.

We've set up camp at something that looks like a campsite, well, there's a sign board that says:   nature area, no fires please!, and there are stacked rocks, that forms a square.  It's windy tonight, so I'm glad for the extra cover.

I'm exhausted, and off to bed, immediately.

Sweet dreams

P.S.  It's been two weeks now VODACOM, since you've promised to sort out my blogging nightmare!   I still have to go through serious trouble to do daily postings.  PLEASE, be so kind as to SORT IT OUT!  I can't post my pictures!