Monday, 14 May 2007

DAY 14: IN SEARCH OF THE REQUEST

DAY 14

Went home for mother's day yesterday, and it was fantastic! My mother brought us back to the mountain this morning. Thank you ma, and especially thanks for a very special day yesterday.

We got up really early this morning, so I wasn't on form in the beginning. I don't even know how Maria manages with her bag. It's almost bigger than her, and as heavy as it's big. She's tough though, and never moans, so I guess she's handling.

Dante and Katryn seem so happy to be back, but it's hot as hell, so they run ahead, to sit waiting beneath the trees. The roads were really bad, coming back to the Magalies, so my mother dropped us off nearest to the point we came down from. We realized that we were actually quite a far way away from it, so we decided to hike back towards Pretoria, because there are many gorgeous spots in between, none of which we wanted to miss. It looks like a day's hike, but we have enough time until the 26th, so a couple of days to spend hiking around the gorges.

We hiked back to the Request, which is the next gorge from where we were. We couldn't see our way there clearly, because we also didn't know exactly where it was. Finally we decided to go way up, in the hopes that we'd spot it, actually hoping it was close. We've had a busy couple of days, little sleep, and my Achilles is inflamed and uncomfortable, but we made it okay.

We stumbled upon a house, right at the beginning of the gorge. Well, it actually looks like hikers accommodation, maybe owned by the MCSA. As far as I understand, many farmers have shares in the rights to this gorge, of which the MCSA holds the majority share. There are many camping spots, and hiking trails leading into the gorge from here. It was a beautiful place to set up camp, so we pitched our tent on a wooden deck, overlooking the valley. Gorgeous.

Maria decided to take a dip in the pool, but the water was freezing, so I left it for the morning. hahaha. We have a solar shower handy, which we filled with water, and left in the sun, to heat up a little. Not enough daylight to get it very warm, but a far cry from the Antarctic.

It's suddenly very dark outside. It's so quiet, except for the crickets and the baboons making noise in the distance. We saw lots of deer today, something you don't see much of as you go higher. There isn't really any water at the top, so I guess not much need for them to go there, right?

Well, I'm dead on my feet. I'm going to get myself cleaned up, and catch up on some lost sleep.

Before I forget, Linda, I hope you had a beautiful day, whish I was there. Happy birthday, and may there be many more.

Elsalie, happy birthday girl, and we hope to see you this weekend.

Dante & Katryn is already passed out, and I guess Maria will do the same, before she hears noises and gets scared. So good night, and sweet, sweet dreams.

P.S. Marissa, and Lelanie, thank you so much for everything! If it wasn't for the two of you, Go 4 Good, Rustenburg, would still just be an idea.

And to my friend Neha, good luck with what's ahead, I am thinking of you

Night…