Friday, 18 May 2007

FALLING, FATIQUE AND TONQUANI GORGE

DAY 18:

Firstly, a happy birthday to my big brother Daan. I hope you have a beautiful day and many more to come. Love you madly, and wish I was there.
We woke up bright and early. Strangely, it was not as cold by the water side as it was on top of the mountain. Packing up today, was quite a breeze. We actually had a beautiful start to a very typical morning. Packing up didn’t seem like routine, it was actually quite enjoyable.
We started our hike, with the beauty and mystery of where we were, still fresh in my mind. We hiked to the top of the escarpment, but as usual, just as you think you’re on top, there’s another ridge, as high as the previous one awaiting.
The rocks today, are quite a challenge to get through, but our road nevertheless. It was a beautiful hike, and there were many valleys and gorges that we had to go through. We decided to get on with it, so we didn’t have too many rest intervals. We wanted to get to the Hekpoort tower early enough to explore the surrounding areas, but sadly misjudged the distance. As the crow flies, it couldn’t be too far, but hiking it, a completely different story.
Once we got to our destination, we realized that the Tonquani gorge lay below us, so we kept on hiking, in the hopes that we’d find a camp spot or a clearer idea of what lay below. This was one of the most beautiful, awesome sights I’ve seen this far, and I know that every time we stumble upon something beautiful, I think this, but it’s true. This gorge is as intimidating as it is awesome. As we walked down, the smallest little stream was flowing down ever so gently into a pool, which ran down into another pool, until all this water came together and formed a waterfall which cascades at least 200m down below into the gorge. The rock walls surrounding us, was of the most impressive rock I’ve seen thus far. Made me feel very small, and looking down into the valley made my stomach drop to the floor. Awe inspiring!
It was so sad that we couldn’t stay here forever, but it was getting late, and we had to get a move on. My Achilles was inflamed, and giving me a hard time, and I found it difficult to move too quickly, but we had to start making our way down the mountain, as we had a room booked at the Omaramba holiday resort tomorrow, and the idea of a hot shower, was something that simply couldn’t wait.
We hiked, slowly down, and Katryn was staying very close to me, almost trying to encourage me or something, when I stumbled over some rocks, and to avoid stepping on her, I dived to one side, and fell hard to the floor. I fell so hard, that Maria heard it all the way in front. I felt like such a baby, because it wasn’t a second before the sobs started. Thought that my body had come apart, but other than a couple of bruises, grass burns, and a fat head, I was all right!
Today felt like it truly wasn’t my day, and before long, the distance and rocks has taken its toll. We were both finished. We looked around for a place to camp, as it was quickly getting dark. We found that we were in the midst of a cattle grazing area, as there was a water crib, and there were troughs with feed. This was the only area reasonably flat enough and so we cleared away as many rocks as possible, and pitched our tent.
Morale was a little low tonight, and bodies tired and bruised. We nibbled on some smoked mussels and provitas, and lay down to sleep. Never thought this day would ever come to an end and rough surface or no, passed out for dead.
I think today’s greatest challenge was to enjoy and take in, the wonder and beauty of this day, and not to give in to feelings of pain, fatigue and self pity. Think they call it mind over matter, right? Wouldn’t say I completely mastered this theory today, but that’s today.
Sweet dreams, and may this beautiful weather persist!