Wednesday, 09 May 2007

BACK TO THE BUSH



I had arranged to meet my mother around 8am, to pick up our supplies, at Damdoryn. When I spoke to her first thing in the morning, plans have changed, and she could only meet us on her way back from Pretoria. So we had until 3pm before we could head back up to the top. I packed up, and went down to the kiosk, chatted with Martie for a while, and then wondered around the Resort some more. It’s so beautiful and peaceful here. I could stay here longer, but I’m becoming restless, and want to get back to the Berg.
Martie prepared us lunch consisting of sandwiches and coffee. She is such a cool lady, she makes me laugh. She has the cutest little Chihuahua named Nula (a dog), and even though she’s tiny, she makes a big noise when you enter her bubble. Then there was also a big Doberman, but I still don’t know his name. He seemed fine with Dante & Katryn, but Maria was paranoid that he’d eat them or something, so we didn’t see much of him.
Karel offered to take us to Damdoryn where we met my mother, and then to drop us off nearer to the foot of the mountain. I had a quick coffee with my mother, while Karel and Maria went ahead. She’s fabulous, and I always enjoy every minute in her company. She wasn’t so happy once we got to the place where we’d go up. It didn’t seem safe enough, and she gave me a mouthful about letting her worry. She reckons if she didn’t see where we are, she’d be fine, but now that she’s familiar with our surroundings, she’s freaked.
Sorry ma, don’t mean for you to worry, but it’s all good, right? It was getting late, which left us with little time to get to the top, set up camp, and settled in before dark. My pack suddenly felt like lead again, maybe it’s the fresh supplies, but I was suffering a little in the beginning. We were slow getting higher, and once we saw a flat enough spot to pitch the tent, we set up camp. There were no smooth surfaces, mostly rocks and so we pitched the tent on top of a heap of pebbles, which managed to get somewhat even.
Both Maria and the dogs seemed uneasy and a bit scared, so she tried to sleep a.s.a.p., but Katryn felt the need to stand guard most of the night. It was a beautiful night though, I lay awake for hours, just staring into space, listening to music, and loving every minute of being here.
Good Night.