Sunday, 25 January 2009

EERSTEGELUK


Up bright and early, but we only had to be ready by 10am, when Francious was going to take us back to the water. Smittie came by to finish off the seats he had built for the kayaks. They are very primitive, but will do the trick, I'm sure. It was 11:58am when we got to the water, and we chatted for a little while before saying our good-byes. This was our last familiar stop before embarking on completely unknown terrain. It was amazing to spend time with these individuals. They all went out of their way for us, and I appreciate it more than you know. I will always remember you fondly, and hope our paths will cross again. Francious, Smittie, Leane and Tabs, thanks for sharing...

Once in the water, I felt at home. I love being out here, love the water, love every single thing that surrounds me, love this moment...
A breeze was making ripples in the water, and it soon picked up into a rather strong head wind. I had to put my everything behind each stroke, or else the wind would get the better of me. Most of all, I had to prevent turning sideways when a vicious gust came rushing through, because it would surely tip the boat over. I was getting hungry and Katryn asked nicely to be grounded for a bit, so I suggested we find a place to stop for lunch. We saw some people at a house on the right hand side, and called out to them, to ask where we were allowed to stop, and they suggested we get out right there and take our time, till we are ready to get back on the water. Joyce even offered to make us some coffee. It was magic, to be sure.



After about 30mins, we were back on the water. Smittie, your seat is lovely, but my ass was starting to hurt. Ag, it's all good, I'll just shift positions every so often, even though that didn't help much. I kept to my right, because the wind seemed less fierce closer to the banks. I am continued to be amazed by the bustling activity in the water and on the banks. The lizards are rather big, and we saw one walking Hyacinths. It was such a kodac moment, but due to poor and wet conditions on the raft, I missed it...
At around 4am, I was getting tired, although the colors and reflections on the water were so beautiful, it was a pleasure to paddle some more. We were on the lookout for a place on the left hand side of the river, called Eerstegeluk, and we were to recognize it by the wooden deck built amongst some eucalyptus trees. It was 6.30pm when we finally found it. We've only paddled 11kms today, but it sure felt like 50 to me.
Eerstegeluk is the most idyllic little place next to the river, rustic and somewhat primitive with a romantic feel to it. Love it!!! Francious had suggested this place, and said he would make arrangement for us to sleep over, so we could literally just unpack when we get there. I was so hungry and tired; I almost didn't spend time to appreciate my surroundings. I made a quick pasta and pesto, which tasted like heaven to the hungry.
Too tired to do anything, but we had a quick wash, coffee, and off to bed. Sweet, sweet dreams and I hope that tomorrow is as beautiful as today was. Thank you everyone for a beautiful adventure....