Thursday, 03 January 2008

THE BIG TREK

It seems that some things will never change, because it's hours before we leave and we haven't completely packed and still need to pick up the last package in Johannesburg before we leave for Port Edward. We scattered around in pure desperation, but by 12:30pm, we had to leave, we were running late. We said our good-bye's, and made our way to GARMIN's offices in Northriding Jhb.
Traffic was insane, but we soon realized that we weren't in any real hurry anymore, our holiday has officially started! We picked up our GPS's from Fraser and chatted for a while - super guy! By 3:30pm we had done all we had to do, so we went to the nearest restaurant to grab a bite.
Neha gave me a Powermonkey, which is a travel size battery pack of sorts, that plugs into almost anything, from your phone to your laptop, and gives you many extra hrs on your laptop, but only problem is, it doesn't have an adaptor for my specific laptop, so we went looking for someone that stocks that specific plug, with no luck whatsoever.
It was about 6pm when we finally made our way through hectic traffic, and took the N3 to Durban. We couldn't believe that we were finally on our way. I was driving, and it was amazing how all sorts of calm decended upon me the closer we came to the coastline. I absolutely adore the ocean, and don't much care for being away from it for too long. There's just something about all that water, the sandy beaches and the fresh air, that gets me going.
We stopped many times, to give the dogs a chance to stretch their legs, to get coffee and something to eat. Besides all the big trucks, the road was fairly quiet, the night pitch black around me. Perfect! When we got to Mooi River, the rain was coming down hard, and I could barely keep my eyes open, it has been an exceptionally long day. Maria had the same problem, as she kept me company all the way, so we pulled of at an Ultra City, and slept for a couple of hrs.