Thursday, 15 January 2009

HADEDA CREEK

I would say we're getting better at this. It was around 3/4pm when we reached Hadeda Creek. Maria stayed on the kayak with the dogs, because Pieter has two beautiful big dogs named Simba and Tripod (he had lost a leg, hence the name), and we didn't know how they'd react towards each other. Turns out it was Pieter's 30th birthday. There were two big groups who had checked in when we arrived. The atmosphere was festive and we were quickly swept away into a lazy late afternoon of drinks at the bar. The mixture of sun, excitement and alcohol didn't quite agree with me. I felt heavily intoxicated, so I excused myself, unpacked my kayak and went in search of our room in the tented camp, which Pieter had organized for us.




I had to lie down for a while before I got my stuff together and headed towards the showers. Dinner was at 7pm. so that left me with less than 30mins, and I was so hungry, I could eat a horse!!! The food was divine to say the least. I dished up way more than I could handle, but I managed very well thank you very much. We had offered to run the bar if Pieter needed us to, seeing as it was his birthday. The atmosphere at the bar was playful and everyone was going for gold. When they started hoisting themselves upside down into a canoe which is attached to the roof, downing shots of tequila, that's when I started to get worried. I haven't recovered quite yet, so we agreed to disappear for a while, and come back later. The day has taken it's toll on all of us, so we chilled for a while, and retired to take a cat nap, but we only woke up again around 12pm and realized with a shock, that we had probably missed the entire party. I keeled over and went back to sleep.