Monday, 07 January 2008

UNITED WE STAND

OR HUT AT THE MTENTU CAMPSITE


THE VIEW FROM OUR ROOM - OVERLOOKING MKAMBATI NATURE RESERVE
MARIA AND WONDERFUL

Woke up to the sound of heavy rainfall, it was devine, so I just lay listening for a long time. I figured it had to be somewhere around 4.30am. I was wondering wether this was going to continue, but to tell you the truth, I couldn't care less.
Wonderful came round really, really early, because he was worried that we'd be leaving in this rain, and convinced us to stay another day. We lazed around, chatting for a while, catching up on some more local news. We all headed to the kitchen, and Lux joined us while we cooked up a gorgeous breakfast, consisting of chilli beef soya, scrambled eggs and some lovely fresh bread. Breakfast of kings...
Stix, Mandla, Lux, Wonderful, Thula, and the girls kept us entertained almost the entire day. We were talking about tradition, global warming, sustainable living, mining, tourism, and basically everything that came to mind. It was amazing how, when people don't have access to information, news, etc, they live oblivious to the world's weaknesses, almost idillic. This crowd was amazed to learn more of issues like global warming, and was charmed at the idea of sustainable living, although they already make use of various means of sustainability, but there are so many more possibilities, and this could also serve as a potential tool in their fight to bring tourism back to it's former glory.
I felt terrible for my friends and others like them, as I listened to their various stories, of so many people who come here, and claim to have solutions to their so-called problems, but so far, almost all of those promises and schemes were just an attempt to make as much money as possible through the hard work and effort of others, while their problems remain the same, in fact, if anything, they now know what it's like to be taken advantage of. They still don't earn a descend living due to the fact that they are paid far less than the minimum wage for tending to tourists that visit this campsite (a company started to benefit this community). They are always here, always on time, and always willing to help, to chat or to teach others their ways. So why then is their situation so desperate?
I believe we are here for more than just being successful in our own lives, and to share these successes and combine our strenghts with that of others, is more than enough to resolve greediness and people playing God.
I sure absorbed a lot today, and I have some food for thought as I lay in my bed. Sjoe, it's sometimes hard to put myself in someone elses shoes, but I can imagine and measure that by what I do not like for myself. So many coincidences, so much to be thankful for, and so much to appreciate, would be nice if all was fair, but I guess it is what you make it right?
The night outside is breathtaking! I have enjoyed my days here, but it's time to continue on our hike, we have lots to talk about, and I'm trying desperately to master the art of meditation. I have some difficulty concentrating on anything for too long, but I'm adament to practise until I succeed. Be nice to have some silence, so the hike is good.
MMMmmmm, sweet dreams and many blessings...